Thursday, December 23, 2010

The Trap and the Rocks

Working with the enemy! An Angel-fish helps Blowfish to hunt.
Today I had quite a fright. A huge Angel fish, similar to the one seen here, was coming right up to me. It was within touching distance, floating slowly. It was mouthing something, and despite trying, I couldn't lip-read what it was telling me. I found myself entranced by this friendly little fellow, and watched carefully as he performed a little dance in the water! He floated, twirled, and spun gracefully!

It turned out to be just a distraction, because as I glanced to the side I saw the mother of all Blowfish swarms surrounding me. At least 20 of the vicious predators were about to strike. I managed to swim away quickly enough to avoid being bitten. If I had panicked, I may not have made it back to shore.

This is the first time I've seen this tactic used -- inter-species co-operation. The Angel fish is helping the Blowfish to catch their prey. This is very similar to the way that the Velociraptor hunted in the documentary "Jurassic Park". In this educational film, we can see the way that distraction, or "misdirection", is used to catch a victim.

So please be careful, if a harmless fish seems more friendly than usual -- maybe it just wants to say hello. Or maybe it's working in cahoots with the Blowfish "hive mind". Keep your wits about you!
Hunter! The Raptor perfected techniques still used by fish today

Here is an actual Velociraptor. Although it lives in the jungle rather than the ocean, it uses the same type of techniques. This is further proof that the fish is directly descended from the dinosaur (for the similarities between the trout and the dilophosaurus, check this previous Blog entry).

Also today, I had big problems trying to get in and out of the water. In the main ocean bit, away from the tidal pool, there are rocks. Because of the lapping tide, sand was being stirred up, and I couldn't see the rocks. I could easily have damaged my flippers as I stumbled across them. Getting out was worse, as I slipped on the rocks and embarrassingly fell face-down in 3-inch deep water. Fortunately everybody at the beach in the mornings is over 80 years old, so none of them had the eyesight to actually notice. But if anybody has any tips, please let me know. Thanks.

Although you all look up to me as your Mentor in snorkelling, I too have much to learn. "Learn much, must I, still to." as Yoda said.(Ultimate Yoda impression ).

-Gray

No comments:

Post a Comment