Sunday, December 5, 2010

Summary of Events so far


First of all I should tell you that I've only ever snorkelled at Mettam's Pool (park where Lynn St meets West Coast Drive, Perth, Western Australia). This seems to be a great spot to snorkel because there are no (a) waves, (b) jetskis or kite-surfers, or (c) sharks. I will share my thoughts on sharks in another post.

During my two weeks of intensive snorkelling (I now consider myself a veteran), I have seen some beautiful sights. I have hovered above a group of blowfish who were madly attacking an empty shell. I have followed two little squid as they fled from me in terror. I have seen two trout playing chasie around the rocks.

Allow me to give you a very brief summary of the wildlife in this pool, and what you can expect to see if you visit yourself:

- At least three of these "Angel fish" things live in the area (see picture at top of post). I have seen one which is smaller than the others -- presumably it is an offspring. This means that these fish are breeding. I like these fish, because they are non-threatening to look at, and they tend to swim away from you in fear.

- Two squid. I've only seen them once, so maybe they were lost and stumbled into Mettam's Pool by accident. I enjoyed watching the way they moved, pulsing smoothly through the water. I realise squid of the "giant" variety have been sinking trade ships for centuries, but these small ones seemed harmless. I have included a picture of the larger type of squid - this monster has obviously managed to crawl onto the land, and is just about to eat this old man.

- A very attractive young lady, snorkelling in a bikini. I wouldn't have mentioned this, since they can be seen at almost any beach. But I was swimming along the bottom, working on my breath-holding skills (currently up to 15 seconds!), and she swam right over the top of me! Although this was a pleasant surprise, it also forced me to hold my breath for an extra couple of seconds (to impress her), resulting in terrible pressure inside my chest.

- A jellyfish. It was floating gently, and it was about 2 inches wide. Have you ever seen the way a jellyfish moves through the water? It is quite beautiful! Especially to see it up close and personal. However, as a veteran of the ocean, I wasn't fooled. One brush with the tentacles of this beast, and I would have been in intensive care. I kept my distance. Remember, if you spot a jellyfish in the ocean, don't tempt fate -- do what I do, and swim madly away, splashing as much as you can to alert other swimmers to the danger.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to posting again shortly. There is all sorts going on under the sea, and I would like to be your guide as together, we explore!

1 comment:

  1. Love it and yes you are a veteran fa shooooo

    ReplyDelete