Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Tomorrow - The DROP OFF!

Provided there is no wind tomorrow morning, I'm going to aim to push further than I've ever pushed before. I'm going to blur the line between "snorkelling" and "deep-sea diving", and venture beyond the confines of the rocks. This will literally put me out in the open ocean. If you have been reading my previous entries, you will know that within the "pool" I have found endless variety, surprises, and danger. Once I pass over this "drop-off" (technical term that I learned from the movie "Finding Nemo"), your guess is as good as mine as to what I'll find. Since I've been practising every day, I believe I could dive down to about 5 meters in the open ocean. Perhaps it will be pitch black at that depth; I'll have to wait and see.

To reach the wide blue depths, I will have to skim across possibly several miles* of thick seaweed, which is only about 2 feet from the surface. These gently waving weeds-of-the-sea will not only attempt to entangle and restrain me, but they also conceal all kinds of wildlife ... Including the dreaded Blowfish (see previous post). If I can make it through this aquatic jungle, then finally I'll then be at the full mercy of the sea. I envision 8-foot waves crashing down upon me, dragging me out to sea and/or slamming me against the very rocky wall that I seek to pass over.

Expect a detailed posting of this adventure tomorrow morning. Here is a detailed schematic view of my intended route.

My intended route tomorrow morning. (imaging courtesy of Google Earth (c)2010 )


On another note, I have purchased a camera to use at Rottnest next week. It is a disposable thing with film inside. I would have gotten a proper digital one, but I'm not sure how often I'll use it and they started at $250. This one was $22. The checkout lady gave me a strange look that said, "Wow, we still sell these things?".

I understand that I have to get these "films" "processed" or "developed" so that you can see the pictures or "prints". Presumably, I will then have to scan these photos into the computer, before I can use them in my Blog. Anyway, you can look forward to some blurry and faded shots of various pieces of coral, after next Tuesday.

Comments welcome below.

Stay salty!
-Gray



* several miles = several meters

2 comments:

  1. Dear Blogger,

    Another brilliant entry into the aquatic adventures of "Gray". You know I often think to myself why is this man so daring and willing to live life on the edge? It truly is something special......stay safe yet salty little man

    John Smithson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear John Smithson,
    Thanks for your kind words! My real motivation is to inform, educate, and safe-guard the public when they venture into the sea.
    Remember, "I'm out there taking the risks, so you don't have to!" (TM, 2010, Gray Enterprises)

    I appreciate your positive comments my friend!
    -Gray

    ReplyDelete