Sunday, December 5, 2010

Sunday afternoon snorkel

Yes I returned for a second snorkel of the day. This is primarily due to my lack of a social life, rather than an overwhelming love of snorkelling.

In any case, the wind had picked up and the clouds had rolled in. So not the best conditions. But luckily I went in anyway because I happened to spot my old friend -- Squiddly! Last seen on Thursday, with his friend (Squiddly #2), I spent a good few minutes swimming around with this little guy. Getting closer, you can really see the shimmering green that surrounds his eyes. I would presume this is some kind of defence mechanism, but I'm far too lazy to google it.

Sea Bass
The obvious question is, of course, where is his friend? I have no proof to back this up, but my gut instinct as an experienced sea-farer tells me that he has been eaten by a trout (see picture to the right, which may or may not be a trout).

The other big event of this afternoon's swim was a startling discovery about Blowfish! Now, you can expect a detailed entry on Blowfish later in the week, because they are by far the most numerous, pesky, and downright aggressive little fish in this part of the ocean. But for now let me share with you the amazing behaviour I witnessed with my own eyes -- the Blowfish eats shells! Yes, empty shells lying in the sand at the bottom of the ocean, are the primary diet for these little fish. As I watched, four Blowfish attacked a shell with Piranha-like ferocity.

A quick Google search taught me that Blowfish don't actually have teeth; instead they have evolved a "beak". No doubt this is perfect for gnawing away at old shells, like the "rodents of the sea" that they so clearly are. The damage that this beak could do to human flesh is open to speculation. No doubt, sooner or later, I will get bitten by a swarm of these critters. When that happens, I will post pictures of the injury(s) they inflict on me.

Photo courtesy of www.sodahead.com
I will leave you with a picture of a deadly Blowfish on the attack. Remember, consuming these fish can be fatal, so I assume any skin contact with them in the ocean can be just as deadly. Nature doesn't give you spikes like this unless you are able to use them.

Finally, do you know of any other good places to Snorkel in Perth? Please leave a comment below with any suggestions.

No comments:

Post a Comment