Tuesday, May 17, 2011

[Bike] Kings Park & Wet Riding

Yesterday, at the suggestion of my good friend "DJ Langy", I hit up King's Park. Lovely afternoon, lovely park, lovely ride. A lovely 40kph limit within the park let's me cruise in a relaxed, lovely fashion -- just the way I like it. This is important for my bike, because it let's me cruise along with the revs at 4 thousand. Below 5 thousand, it almost sounds like a normal bike, which I enjoy. Above 5 thousand, it turns into a whipper-snipper, which I don't enjoy so much.

Enjoyed a nice 'chicken and rocket' sandwich which cost over $7.

Today, his suggestion was to enjoy a "hot and cold" at the San Churros at Hillarys. I'll make a separate post about this place in a minute. But what was interesting was riding to and from there, in the pouring rain. Bear in mind I don't have wet-weather gear yet, so my jeans were soaked through, sneakers all squishy with water, and my gloves were wringing wet.

Rain takes a lot of the fun out of riding. You get cold. Sitting at the lights is annoying since you're steadily getting wetter and colder. And then cruising at 80kph is annoying since the wind feels pretty "arctic" against your wet clothes. You have to watch the road like a hawk, and adjust your position to dodge pools of water, slippery bits of tarmac, and painted arrows and such which basically become like patches of ice. Road paint has no traction when wet. I've known 90 year old ladies with arthritis that had more grip than those arrows.

When stopped, my visor fogs up even on a clear day. In the rain, it's pretty much like a blindfold. So I have to flip it up a bit to clear it. Then the rain hits my glasses, and that's worse.

Bah. Maybe after I buy a better visor and some waterproof gear, it'll be more bearable.

-Gray

No comments:

Post a Comment