Friday, January 14, 2011

Aquarium is born

G'day fellow sea-farers!

In a characteristic flash of genius, I decided "Why visit the ocean to enjoy the fish, when I can bring the fish to me?". So I've bought an aquarium. 55 litres of natural habitat for some friendly little fish to swim in! Total spend so far is $270, and no fish yet. Maybe if you get inspired to set up your own aquarium, you can learn from my own experiences. So here is the run-down so far.

- 55 litre tank (medium size, I would say)
- Internal power filter with spray bar
- 50 watt heater
- Plain gravel
- Thermometer
- A couple of fake plants
- A barrel decoration
- Background picture
- Water treatment stuff to treat the tap water
- pH test kit and adjuster chemicals
- Ammonia test kit
- Net
- Fish food
- Bacteria booster to help kick-start the biological filtering

There is definitely more to this stuff than meets the eye. This is why, when little Johnny buys a $10 goldfish bowl and dumps his goldfish into it, the poor thing is dead within the month. Johnny's parents can't be blamed; who would have thought keeping a fish would actually involve research and effort?

Here you can see the tank as it is right now. Nothing much to look at. I will probably add some "Mollys" which are plain little fish, in a few days. After a month or two, I'll be ready to switch over to a flock of awesome little tetras, probably Glow Light Tetras. So you can look forward to pics / video of those little suckers!

Here is a YouTube clip of some Neon Tetras.

Comments / advice welcome as always.

-Gray

No comments:

Post a Comment