Sunday, January 16, 2011

Cheap imported filter

Quick entry tonight .... Cola and Fanta are loving their tank.

The cheap Chinese-made filter was making a hell of a racket this morning. I pulled it apart and put it back together, didn't actually do anything to it, but somehow fixed the noise. Put the spray bar above the water -- now my bedroom is filled with a waterfall sound. Fanta likes playing in the turbulent water. Either that, or he's too weak to escape it ...

Also, I added 3 live plants. I don't expect them to live. Between the over-oxygenated water and the two fish gnawing at their leaves, I'm pretty sure they'll be dead within the week.

Fed the little guys some bloodworm tonight. Frankly it didn't smell all that appetising, but then, I'm not a fish. They scarfed it.

I'll be honest here -- these two fish are probably not going to survive the month. The tank isn't cycled and they're pumping out waste left and right. I'm no Aquarium expert, but I'm testing ammonia twice a day and will water change as required. If you want to donate some cold hard cash to their cause, e-mail me :)

All I'm saying is -- let's not get too attached to these little guys. Sure, they quickly found their way into all our hearts with their crazy antics, playful marking of territory, and cute eyes. The two days I've known them feels like 2 years ... But statistically, they're on a one-way ticket to the bin. Quite literally.

So far though, they are as healthy as a mule(s). Cola is bigger and often rushes at poor little Fanta. I hate to see a ranga getting bullied. I speak from experience. But it's all part of nature I guess ...

I'll keep you posted.

-Gray, Cola and Fanta

2 comments:

  1. Awww man hope they don't die!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too :( Fish die for a thousand different reasons though, even the "pro" aquarium guys lose fish quite a bit. It's a shame really. I'm giving 100% for these guys though.

    ReplyDelete