Thursday, June 30, 2011

[iPhone] Let's Play Order & Chaos - episode 3

Episode 3 - Crocs, bears, and leather vests

Today I spent some of my hard-earned copper coins, and bought myself a new leather vest. Here is a shot of Varkiann modelling it in front of the "Fallen Leaf Water-wheel":
Winter fashion 2011 Catalogue. "Woodsman's Leather Vest", available in stores now.
After prancing about in my new clothing for a while, I decided to explore further to the west of town. I ventured over a sturdy wooden bridge, and through a large portcullis cut into a massive stone wall.

In the woods beyond, I battled giant green spiders, who resisted my fireballs, and spat a toxic venom at me! As I hacked and blasted my way through their ranks, I happened to notice a nearby fisherman leaning against a tree. Since this was strange, I walked over and talked to him. He wanted me to slay some "giant crocodiles" at the nearby lake. Of course. Makes perfect sense.

I made short work of the scaly bastards, too:
This critter will make a lovely pair of boots, to go along with my new vest!
I'm guessing this fantasy world doesn't have the equivalent of the R.S.P.C.A.. Since arriving, I've done nothing but slay innocent wild animals. Nobody bats an eyelid.

Returning to the fisherman for my reward, I notice he has a friend with him. A "bear hunter". Let me guess ... Yes, he wants me to kill a giant bear for him. A professional bear hunter, who presumably does this for a living, is asking a strange Mage to kill a bear for him.  Ok why not -- I've taken my dagger to every other animal in this damn forest ...

I find the big bear hiding next to a lovely waterfall. He's actually much bigger than I thought. As he charges at me with a bellow, I suddenly wish I'd made friends with a warrior type ... Time seems to slow down as he approaches. Then I realise it's just a lag spike. With the illogical sound of clashing blades, we meet in mortal combat! There can be only one!
This is just silly. What has this thing been eating?!?
I could smell the fetid breath of the great animal, as it swiped at me in disjointed and repetitive animations. It's arms seemed to be made up of about 3 polygons each, but those 3 packed a real wallop! 

Fortunately, our hero Varkiann isn't about to be destroyed by a honey-eating, tree-scratching bear -- no matter how big it is. With some deft spell work, including my newly-acquired "Frost Blast", I bring the beast crashing to the ground at my feet. ROAR! Epic battle, epic skills, epic victory:
This is what happens when you put wildlife within reach of me ...
With this job done, I head back in to town to finish up the night's session. I clear out my inventory by selling everything to the local weapons merchant, who inexplicably wants to buy my "spider poison" and "crocodile scales".

While I exit to the main menu, I wonder idly why it's always day time in here. It's exhausting. Is it really that hard to add a day/night cycle to a game? And why is my character wearing a skirt? I never noticed that before ...

-Gray

No comments:

Post a Comment