Thursday, June 2, 2011

30 second Restaurant Review - Grill'd Burgers

(This review is my own personal opinion, based on my own personal experience, personally. Which may not be the same as your own experience.)


Tough little review this one. After enjoying Australia's Finest Burgers so many times, it was always going to be a tough act to follow. Imagine taking the stage after The Beatles, or taking your shirt off after me -- you're never going to be able to measure up to the previous glory.

But let me be subjective and unbiased(*).

Ambiance - Well it's Subi, so I have to give one point just for the sexy, sexy people walking around. Everybody walking around in $200 shoes, playing with their iPhones and such. +1 point.

Service - You have to order at the counter. Hmm. But the staff were friendly and that's all-too-rare these days. Food didn't take long to come out. +1 point.

Price - About $12 for a cheeseburger, so it's a little cheaper than I'm used to paying. Unfortunately, this was reflected in the quality of the food. Was my burger worth $12? Yes. If it had cost $15, I'd be upset right now. +1 point.

Drinks - Standard stuff. Soft drinks or beer. My cider was brought, no offer of a glass was proffered or on offer. Some people like to have their cider in a glass, with ice cubes. I'm just saying. 0 points.

Food - And now we get to the meat of the issue! Haha, brilliant pun. The bread is great, lightly toasted. A bit too much flour on the outside frankly -- if I wanted my hands covered in flour, I'd become a baker. The salad was fresh enough, slightly limp though. The lettuce wasn't really crispy. In fact, it was about as limp as my penis on a bus full of old aged pensioners. That's pretty damn limp, take my word for it.

The real problem here was the pattie, which was slightly overcooked, and lacked any real flavour. Pretty dissapointing. They try to make up for this by heaping on about 9 tablespoons of "herb mayonnaise" which appears to be mayonnaise, with some type of herbs in it. Tasted fine but it had nothing to compete with. The only taste was the mayo. How about injecting some flavour into the actual meat? Just a thought. Overall not too shabby, so +1 point.

So not too disappointing, nothing special, just a middle-of-the-road burger at middle-of-the-road prices. It's somewhere between McDonalds, and Australia's Finest Burgers. Better than fast-food, but not good enough to be gourmet. It's like a fast-food-gourmet thing. "Formet", I'm going to call it. (formet, "for-may", noun. Somewhere between "fast food" and "gourmet")

Oh, and -1 point for having a big sign at the entrance proclaiming "Best Burgers in Australia". This is completely unsubstantiated, and very likely to be untrue. False advertising. -1 point. BAM!

Final Score - 3 out of 5
GRILL'D BURGERS, SUBIACO - DECIDEDLY AVERAGE 

-Gray

* All my blog entries are objective and biased.

No comments:

Post a Comment