Wednesday, July 6, 2011

[Movie] "Sucker Punch" review

NO SPOILERS HERE.

I went into this expecting to turn it off in disgust, and then write a scathing post about how shit it was. Unfortunately, they've made a great little movie here. The trailer sold this movie way short. You could say I got "Sucker Punched" by this movie ... Hey? Hey? You see what I did there?

The action scenes are completely saturated in slow motion, wire effects, and CGI up the yin-yang -- but because these scenes take place in a sort of "dream world", it works really well. You know how in a dream, things are actually really strange and vivid? But you never notice this during the dream, only after you wake up. "Oh wow, I was flying in that dream. Weird." But when you're actually having the dream, you're just like "Yep, let me just fly over here .. Oh wait there is my old teacher from 3rd grade.".

The main points of this movie are: fairly interesting story if you can get a grip on it, incredibly sexy chicks who wear the most sexy outfits and look absolutely perfect in every single shot, and pretty mindblowing action scenes which fit within the context of the plot. It's almost as if they took the best bits of The Matrix, replaced Keanu Reeves with several smoking hot girls, and stripped out all the babble about destiny and free-will, replacing it with pure, undiluted awesomness.

So I'm not raving about "Why don't they ever get bruised? Why does their makeup always look perfect? Why are they suddenly able to swing a sword like a Japanese master?" It doesn't matter because it's a dream.

Overall, it's not as brainless as I thought. I pretty much predicted the overall plot, but not completely. And I'm still not sure I understand everything. So yes, there is definitely some meat on the bones here. And the chicks in mini-skirts and other sexy apparel is just the icing on the cake. The main character is just so damn sexy. Probably not in real life. But in this movie she looks incredible.

Just rent this movie, it's well worth a watch. I'm going to watch it again in a few days time.

Sucker Punch - 5 out of 5 for guys (if you're a girl, subtract 1 point, unless you're lesbian)

Disclaimer - one thing I simply cannot forgive is the use of the old "three-point landing". You know what I'm talking about; when somebody lands on the ground with one knee down, one foot down, and one hand down. Then they look up past the camera with a dramatic expression on their face. You see it in movies all the time, and it happens about 48 times in Sucker Punch. It's the most stupid concept I've ever seen. You would literally break less bones if you just landed in a limp pile.

-Gray

No comments:

Post a Comment