Monday, July 18, 2011

[Bike] Upgrade time, test ride CBR250

So the Ninja has at least 2 weeks waiting list, probably 2 months for a black one. Bah! If they're selling bikes that fast, build them faster. It's basic economics. They've just lost a sale because I'm not patient enough to wait.

So on to Plan B, check out the cheap and badly-built Hyosung GT250R! In some lucky twist of fate, the dealer didn't have any in stock. But they did have plenty of CBR250's. I didn't really want one of these because they're a single cylinder, just like my current bike, and they look a bit skinny and feminine. Fortunately, I look a bit skinny and feminine, so I took one for a spin.

I hopped on and I said, "I'll be back in 20 minutes." The guy goes, "Err, you don't need that long do you?"
I said, "Fifteen then."

He says, "You'll know 5 minutes down the road whether you like it or not." Oh OK so it's unreasonable for me to want to give the bike a proper run before I drop $6k on it? Am I suppposed to guess what it feels like on the freeway? Or how the seating position feels after a proper half-hour ride? Pathetic. Does he want to sell a bike to me, or not? So I came back 15 minutes later, thinking I could always ride it again for longer another time.

I've had a couple of bad experiences with vehicle salesmen, and this guy isn't helping the stereotype so far.

Anyway the bike was fine, a definite improvement over my commuter. I always wanted to be on a sports bike. Positioning feels much better, sounds better, goes better.

On a dual carriageway, no other cars around me, a lady pulled right out across the road to turn right and I locked the front wheel for a moment before letting up and swerving to avoid her rear. It was that close. Stupid little tart. The worst part is, she had stopped to look for traffic, looked right through me, and accelerated right across my path. Now just imagine if I'd have hit or clipped her, I would be up for the cost of the entire bike since I signed the form before riding off! Crazy times.

So maybe I'll get a CBR250, maybe I'll wait around and check out a Hyosung or something.
CBR250 Pro's:
  - It's a Honda, and that's worth something in my book.
  - It's available right now, and in black. Brilliant.
  - Cheaper to buy, more economical, and more torque at lower RPM than a Ninja (don't need to wring it's neck so much)

CBR250 Con's:
  - 0-100 of nearly 9 seconds. That's pathetic! I've read the Ninja does it in about 6?
  - Top speed of 150kph. Not quite as fast as I was hoping for.

Here are the two other paint schemes I saw in the shop. Which one is the best? I can't decide:

[Pictures removed from this entry because they didn't belong to me]

-Gray

1 comment:

  1. Update since this post is getting plenty of hits ... I bought the CBR about 4 weeks ago, it does 147kph, fully tucked, on the flat. 0-100 is closer to 10 seconds.

    I was wrong about the Ninja doing it in 6. I think it's about 7.5 or 8.

    Happy with the purchase. I really should do a proper review on it some day.

    ReplyDelete