Tuesday, July 5, 2011

[iPhone] Review - Rat on a Scooter

[This is an opinion piece on "Rat on a Scooter" by Donut Games. The official website is here.]

If for some reason you've never played this game, I'm surprised. It's fairly popular. Donut Games have a few dozen games out on the App store. I've bought 12 of them so far, but there is only really 2 that I play -- Traffic Rush, and Rat on a Scooter.
Simple, bold, colourful and easy to operate. Just the way I like my girlfriends.


This game is the perfect pick-up-and-play arcade title. You can play it with just your left thumb. It's perfect for playing in short bursts since most games are over in one or two minutes. I used to regularly play this while on my smoke breaks. I no longer smoke, but it's still a fun game.

Touch the screen to make your little rat jump. How long you press determines how high you'll jump. You can add a little "double jump" when you need it, by touching again. That's all there is to it. When you fall and touch the bottom of the screen, it will pop up "Try Again" or "Main Menu". Is way too easy to hit "Try Again".

"Ya! Gimme dat cheesey!" (my rat talks in an Italian accent)
There are 3 other modes, but they're mostly forgettable. In one you collect fuel, in another special icons which make the platforms bigger or give you a jetpack, and another where you have to avoid traffic cones. Bah!

Just stick with the main mode and you'll be loving it. You can also follow your score and achievements over Game Center.
Oh sick front-wheel grind, boyeee! <snaps fingers like Ali G>
It's the first game I've reviewed which I've actually spent serious time with. I installed it like 6 months ago at least, and it's still fun in short bursts. Here's my stat screen from my iPod touch:

Rat on a Scooter - 5 out of 5
Just buy it!
 
-Gray 

No comments:

Post a Comment