Saturday, April 9, 2011

30 second Bar Review - Ocean One, Scarborough

Brilliant, absolutely brilliant. I ventured here last Sunday for what the locals call a "Sunday session". The first shock came when I passed the bouncer at the front -- and he smiled at me. I felt like I was stepping into a crazy, backwards dimension where up is down, day is night, bouncers are friendly, and girls actually want to talk to me.

This place is clean and classy, and the walls feature surfing motifs, surfboards, photos of people surfing, surfing equipment, photos of girls in bikinis, and other wholesome goodness. It immediately conjurers to mind Jack Johnson music. Unfortunately, this music is completely drowned out by the live band playing covers of nothing but Bob Marley. Fortunately, they're very good!

ATMOSPHERE: Superb - not a single guy with a tight t-shirt, tattoo sleeves or a rat's-tail haircut. Pure friendliness throughout. +1 point.

MUSIC: Brilliant - relaxing and enjoyable. You can have a little dance to it too! +1 point.

DRINKS AND SERVICE: Wow! You can actually get served within 2 minutes of reaching the bar! Drinks weren't any more expensive than your common suburban pub, really. Also they serve cocktails I think. +1 point.

PATRONAGE: Amazing - hot, sexy women (who actually smile!), and friendly dread locked surfer-types. Couldn't ask for a better mix. +1 point.

To think of the hours I've wasted in noisy, stinky pubs in Joondalup, sitting outside at dirty, sticky tables, surrounded by 20 year old males with bad tattoos and artificial muscles, and 20 year old females with too-short dresses, singlets, hairy necks, B/O, over-priced beer, bad music played too loud, filthy toilets, and aggressive bouncers ... Ocean One is the complete opposite. +1 point again! BAM!

FINAL SCORE: 5 out of 5. BOOM! Hashtag "WINNING"!

1 comment:

  1. Dude I loooove a god sunday sesh =D =D =D
    Left bank is my favourite place for one, but there's a few other places I like to hang =D

    ReplyDelete