Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Off-Topic: Going Blindfolded this Sunday

I'm going to wear a blindfold for 3 hours this Sunday. There are 3 reasons for this:

A) I just rewatched The Book of Eli. Not a very good movie. But it made me think about being blind.
B) It's like fight training with one arm behind your back -- just forcing the brain to expand, to use other senses, to adapt.
C) It is literally the most exciting thing I can think of doing on my free day. Yes, it's true.

If you haven't seen this short video, check it out now. It's the lady with no arms, who has a pilots license. Now, if she can brush her teeth, using her feet, I'm sure I can shuffle around home for a couple of hours without sight.

In fact, if my hunch is correct (and they rarely are), my brain will actually experience more growth during those 3 hours, than during 6 months of normal life! By removing the primary sense (sight), I hope to force the brain to adapt it's neural pathways, building new connections between synapses and other awkwardly-spelled parts, enhancing my other senses and ultimately making me a more efficient animal.

Anticipated Problems:
* Using the toilet. How to aim? Should I pee sitting down just to avoid any accidents?
* Making a cup of tea.
* Boredom. I can't leave the house -- well maybe sit in the garden I suppose, listening to birds, and trying to interact with them using a complex series of shrill sounds from my nasal passages. But that's not going to be as fun as playing Star Trek Bridge Commander, is it?

But such is the price of scientific experiments. I'll post again on Sunday after I have removed the blindfold.

-Gray

No comments:

Post a Comment