Tuesday, August 9, 2011

[Bike] Splitting like a knife through hot butter

Thought I'd give this a go. Rode into Fremantle for a nice fish and chips, then returned north along the freeways at around 5:30pm. As traffic was getting slower and slower, and I was wondering at what speed I should jump out and start splitting, two sports bikes split past me. I quickly jumped behind them and starting splitting through the cars like a scythe through dry wheat. Or something.

Don't think about it, just do it. It's like eating a strange vegetable for the first time. Or jumping into a swimming pool. Literally close your eyes, and do it. Actually, I joke about it, but since the sun was down and I was stuck using my tinted visor, I may as well have had my eyes closed. I could have flipped it up but (a) it's windy, and (b) if people can see my geeky face peering out, they might move over to block me. With the tinted visor down, they assume I'm a tough guy and are more likely to get out of my way.

Pretty fun, but I suppose everything gets old after you do it enough times. Yes everything. Filtering at the traffic lights was fun the first few days I was doing it. Now I don't really think about it. Like masturbation. It's the best thing in the world when you first discover it. By the time you're 30, it's just something you occasionally do when you want to guarantee a solid nights sleep. It's a chore, if anything. That's all I'm saying. Put out the bin bag, check the doors are locked, feed the fish, have a tug, sleep time. I often find my mind wandering to non-sexual topics and problems, while I'm .... Actually I'm going to leave that there.

One thing I noticed was that some cars would move to the side of the lane to let me through. Some seemed to drift over, and block me off. Or maybe they were just sloppy drivers and didn't even realise I was there.  Pathetic. They aren't even looking out for hard-to-spot, illegally-splitting motorcycles coming up behind them between the lanes. That's basic driving skills.

I tried to give a little "wave" to the guys who moved over. If they're on the left side, it's easy since I can fully twist my hand off the bar and extend my fingers to the side. On the right side it's a problem since I'm trying to maintain a certain throttle, and cover the brake lever. So I settled for a demented, retarded-looking three fingers, bent upwards, which they almost certainly couldn't see but which has now left my fingers aching.

-Gray

2 comments:

  1. Splitting isn't illegal in WA. Just have to indicate whenever you move across the lines dividing the lanes. Enjoy it. :-)

    -Goose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes but then the cop can get you for "not indicating for a reasonable amount of time" since after 1 flash, I've already crossed the line and I'm about to do it again the other way! Haha.

    So I figure, forget following every letter of the law, I'll just concentrate on not hitting anything and stay safe. Fine me if they want. At least I'm not fiddling with my indicator and crashing, losing all feeling in my legs and penis. What kind of future is that?

    Anyway, all good stuff.

    - G-Force

    ReplyDelete